What data do we collect?
We collect three main types of data:
When you interact with our products (analytical data)
- Products you visit (website)
- Your interactions with our products (things you click on, content you share, etc.)
- Written content you read
- Video content you watch
When you navigate our products (analytical data)
- Your geographic location – from your IP address or GPS on your mobile device – when you access our content
- The type of device and browser you use
- Your IP address
- The time of day when you interact with us
When you contact us using the Contact Us form (personal data)
- Email address
- Any other private information that you chose to share with us.
How do we use this data?
Analytical data is obtained when you use our website. The data we analyze about content viewed and methods of viewing helps us better understand your preferences, so we can improve our website design depending on the preferred mode of viewing.
The data may be used to:
- Determine the performance of our content
- Analyze behaviour in order to reduce points of friction on our products
Information that you share with us when you contact us is used to offer you our services.
The data may be used to:
- Offer you a personalized experience
- Send you our a Christmas Card
How do we protect your data?
Your data is always protected. We take strict measures to protect the personal data to which you give us access. Those measures comply with privacy laws.
Analytical data that is collected is anonymized to prevent anyone from being re-identified. Interactions with our products cannot be linked to any particular person.
Data anonymization is a type of information sanitization whose intent is privacy protection. It is the process of either encrypting or removing personally identifiable information from data sets, so that the people whom the data describe remain anonymous.
Is data transmitted to third parties?
The data to which you give CBC/Radio-Canada access may be shared with third parties in some situations. When the data is passed on to third parties, CBC/Radio-Canada makes sure that the data transfer is secure.
Data collected is not used for any purposes other than those authorized by CBC/Radio-Canada and that our partners follow strict data protection rules equivalent to our own
No, we analyse the analytical data obtain ourselves.
We pass on this data only in the following situations:
- You purchase a product from us and require us to ship the package. In this case we inform the shipping company of your name, address, phone number and Social Security Number (SSN only applies to US customers)
What rights do you have over your data?
You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.